Thursday 12 May 2016

how many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

I bought a LIFX White 800 light bulb at my local Lowes hardware store. It was cheaper than a Philips HUE and did not require a gateway. I wanted a front door entry light -- turn on at sunset, turn off at sunrise. This might help me while I'm fumbling with my house keys at night.

The bulb gets hot, actually it's not the bulb because a LIFX has LEDs not bulbs. It's the heatsink which wicks all the heat. It's designed that way -- rated for 125°C (257°F). So be careful! Wear gloves or mittens when you handle. I found this out after I had to change the light's WIFI settings because I changed the password.

First off I had to hardware reset the bulb, by turning it on/off five times until it started blinking in odd colors. Then, using the Android LIFX app I connected to the LIFX wifi network and reset the password. To do this I had to remove the bulb from the front entry way to a more convenient inside lamp socket. Much easier. However, the bulb is hot. Glad I didn't burn my fingers.

You actually have to log onto the LIFX website with your email address in order to reset the bulb. This is probably so they can keep tabs on you, or maybe install an Orwellian monitor. A lot for changing a lightbulb.


However, now I have an IOT enabled front entryway light that does what I wanted it to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment